The St. Quintin family had an estate at Brandesburton from
at least the late 12th century until the death, in 1595, of Lady Ann
Dacre the widow of Gregory Fiennes, Lord Dacre.
In her will she settled nearly 3000 acres of Brandesburton
parish, including much of what is now the village, to provide an income to fund
almshouses for 20 poor people and education for 20 poor children.
The almshouses, given the name Emanuel Hospital, were built
in Tothill Fields, Westminster and because of this the properties at
Brandesburton subsequently became known as the Emanuel Hospital Estate.
From 1623 until its sale in 1919 the Emanuel Hospital
Brandesburton Estate, was administered by the Lord Mayor and Aldermen of the
City of London as trustees of the Hospital. Their name is still shown on an
inscription on the front of Brandesburton School dating from the time of its
building in 1843.
The School is believed to be the oldest continuing school in
the area of the pre 1974 East Riding.
Hall - In the 19th century a farm
and house just to the west of Brandesburton village was bought by Jonathon
The red brick house we see on the site today is now known as
Brandesburton Hall and was rebuilt in 1872 by Harrison’s son Jonathon Stables
Harrison incorporating part of the original 1772 house, and also an 1852
extension to it
The last and best known of the Harrisons to live at the Hall
was Jonathon Stables Harrison’s son,
James Jonathon, known locally as Squire Harrison.
He entered the Prince of Wales’ Yorkshire Hussars in 1884
and retired as a Lt. Colonel after 21 years service.
During this time, and subsequently, he was a big game hunter
and traveller and housed in the Hall a
collection of birds and animals he had shot in Africa and America.
He is best remembered for in 1906 bringing to live in the park surrounding the
Hall, six pygmies from the Ituri forest in Zaire.
They were introduced
to the English public a various events during the following eighteen months
before returning to their native land. More information on this can be found in
a display at the Hornsea Museum.
James Harrison died in 1923 and in 1931 the Hall was sold.
In 1932 it was opened as a hospital for the mentally incapacitated, a use it
retained until recent times, with the exception of the period during WW2 when
it was used as accommodation for officers from nearby RAF Catfoss.