Taken from Bulmer’s History
and Directory of East Yorkshire 1892
Wapentake of Holderness
(North Division)-Petty Sessional Division of North Holderness- County Council
Electoral Division of Brandesburton-Poor Law Union of Skirlaugh-County Court
District of Beverley-Rural Deanery of Hornsea-Archdeaconry of the East
Riding-Diocese of York.
This parish comprises the township of its own name, and
also that of MoorTown, containing a total
area 5,496 acres, and a population of 698. The boundaries of BrandesburtonTownship
were extended about five years ago, so as to include the hamlet of Heigholme,
previously in the township
of Hempholme, and now
enclose an area of 4,984 acres. The rateable value is £4,886, and the number of
inhabitants in 1891 was 698. The soil varies from carr land to strong clay, and
produces good crops of wheat, barley, oats, turnips and mangolds. A diluvial
ridge of gravel and sand runs through the centre of the parish, and is know as
the Brandesburton Barfe. It varies from
20 to 60 yards in height, and has long served the inhabitants with gravel for
the repair of the roads. Relics of an early world have been found here
occasionally by the men employed in digging the gravel. Among them have been
the tusk of an elephant, the teeth of a mammoth, and buffaloes’ horns. Three
human skeletons with the knees draw up towards the head were unearthed near the
crown of the hill. There were no cists, nor had any barrow or tumulus been
raised over them. The principal landowners are the Governors of Emanuel
Hospital, who are lords of the manor, J.J. Harrison, Esq., J.P. William
Bethelll, Esq., of Rise Park, Hull, William C. Harrison, Esq., Robert Hymers,
Esq., and the Rector in right of his church.
one of the places given by King Athelstan to the church of St. John
of Beverley, and the canous were in possession of lands here at the time of
Domesday Survey. The St. Quintins appear as lords of the manor soon after the
Conquest. As early as the reign of Richard I. Or John, Herbert St, Quintin
granted a licence to the abbot and Convent of Meaux to make a ditch between
Hayholme and Brandesburton; and another Herbert St. Quintin, in 1286, obtained
a charter for a weekly market on Thursdays, and a fair yearly on the feast of the
Invention of the Holy Cross. He had also a grant of free warren at
Brandesburton and several other places in Holderness. About the beginning of
the 14th century, Lora, daughter and co-heiress of Sir Herbert St.
Quintin, Knt., transferred the manor in marriage to the Lords Dacre of the
South. Gregory, Lord Dacre, dying without issue, left the manor to his wife
Anna, daughter of Sir Robert Sackville. This lady died in 1595, surviving her
husband less than a year, and left the manor and upwards of 3,000 acres of land
to the Lord Mayor and Alderman of London, in trust for the benefit of Emanuel
Hospital, Westminster, which she had founded.
of Brandesburton is
pleasantly situated on the Beverley and Bridlington road, about eight miles
Northeast of the former town, and six miles west of Hornsea, whereat was the
nearest railway station. (The closest railway station is now at Beverley.) The
market and friars have long been obsolete, but the market cross still occupies
its wonted position. The shaft, about ten feet high, is octagonal, and stands
on a base ascended by three steps, giving it a total height of about 15 feet.
It was once richly decorated with sculptured figures, but these have suffered
so much at the hands of the village vandals that they are now unrecognisable.
The church (St. Mary) is a spacious edifice of stone, partially rebuilt during
the Decorated period, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch of
brick, and a western tower containing bells. The chancel was thoroughly restored,
and the nave partially, in 1889, at a cost of about £1,600, which was raised by
subscription. The chancel was un-roofed and raised to its original pitch, as
indicated by the dripstone on the east wall of the nave, and such of the
windows, as were before blocked up, have been opened out. The east window is a
fine pointed one of five lights, exhibiting some beautiful tracery. There is a
niche in the wall on the north side of the altar, which doubtless once
contained a statue of the titular saint of the church. The aumbry remains in
the south wall, and there is a very perfect piscina in the east end. During the
progress of the restoration, the remains of a rood-screen were discovered, and
also a doorway, which is supposed to have led into a chantry chapel on the
north side of the chancel. This doorway has been opened out and leads into the
vestry. In the eastern jamb there was a hagioscope, or “squint,” but, owing to
the weak state of the wall, it was found necessary to partially build it up.
The nave is separated from the aisle on each side by five pointed arches,
springing from slender columns. The aisles are lightened on each side by eight
pointed windows of three lights, with tracery of a Decorated character, and the
nave by three square-headed double lights in the clerestory. There are two
windows of a similar character in the chancel. At the east end of the south
aisle there was formerly an altar, as shown by the piscina, which still remains
in the wall. The tower is in a dilapidated and unsafe condition, and requires
timely restoration, which it is estimated will cost about £600. Both Norman and Early English
work may be seen in the church. On a large bluestone slab in the floor of the
chancel are two brasses, containing life size figures of a knight and lady. The
former is in plate armour, his feet resting on a greyhound-but his head has
been torn off. The lady is in loose flowing robes, with highly ornamented cap,
her feet resting on a greyhound. Above her head is a shield, charged with the
arms of St. Quintin. The inscription is almost entirely obliterated, but the
date (which is legible) and the arms show that the effigies are those of Sir
John St. Quintin, who died in 1397, and Lora, his wife, who died in 1369.
Another brass bears the half-length figure of William Darrell, rector of
Halsham, and also of Brandesburton, who died in 1364. The head of this figure
is also gone. The registers date from 1558. The living is a rectory, and was
formerly in the gift of the collegiate-society of St. John of Beverley, but
reverted to the Crown on the dissolution of that body at the Reformation.It was
purchased from James I., and subsequently came into possession of Dr. Watson,
bishop of St. David’s, who presented it to St, John’s College, Cambridge,
before 1699. It is valued in the King’s Book at £24 13s. 4d., and is now worth
about £800 per annum (gross), derived from a tithe rent-charge of £676 and 144
acres of glebe. The present rector – the Rev. William James Furneaux
Vashon-Baker, M. A., formerly fellow of St. John’sCollege, Cambridge-was presented to the rectory
in1887, on the death of the late Dr. Hymers. This gentleman, at his death, left
all his wealth, amounting to upwards of £150,000, for the foundation and
endowment of a college at Hull,
for “training intelligence in whatsoever rank of life it may be found.” The
bequest was invalid under the statute of mortman, and reverted to his brother,
Mr Robt. Hymers, who voluntarily gave £50,000 to the Corporation, to carry out
the wishes of his deceased brother.
There is a Wesleyan and also a Primitive Methodist Chapel
in the village. The former was erected in 1809, and renovated in 1888, and the
latter was purchased from the Independents in 1856 for the sum of £100, and
enlarged in 1863.
The National Schools were erected in 1843, and enlarged
1877 by the Lord Mayor and Corporation of London, as trustees of EmanuelHospital,
There a total accommodation for 200 children in the three departments, and
there are about 180 names on the rolls. In the girl’s school is a monument to
Lord and Lady Dacre, who left the manor and estate for the foundation and
endowment of the above hospital.
A Mutual Improvement Society was formed in 1852, and now
consists of about 60 members. There is a reading room in connection with it,
and a library comprising about 1,540 volumes.
A court leet and baron is held in the village annually in
December. The manor house, formerly called Hall Garth, is a commodious
residence, occupied by William Christopher Harrison, Esq.
Brandesburton Hall, formerly
the property of the Midgeleys, was purchased in 1836, by Jonathan Harrison,
Esq., of Pocklington, and is now the seat of James Jonathan Harrison, Esq.,
J.P. It is a handsome structure of brick, rebuilt in 1872, but a portion of the
old 18th century building has been incorporated. The house is
surrounded by pleasure grounds and gardens, and stands in a park of nearly 200
acres. The hall contains a splendid collection of rare birds, game, etc., shot
by Mr. Harrison during his travels in Africa and America.
The parish was enclosed in 1643, and Brandesburton Moor,
lying between Brandesburton and Beeford, the common rights of which were long
in dispute, was enclosed and divided, pursuant to an Act of Parliament passed
- Mrs. Frances Barker, in 1729. Left £100 for the education of poor children of
this place; the money was expended in the purchase of 10 ½ acres of land at
Sutton, and the rents are applied in accordance with the will of the testatrix.
William Mason, father of the above lady, left a rent-charge of 50s. ; the poor
also receive 20s. a year, the interert of £20 left by Mr. Boswell, and they
have likewise £3 7s 6d. from Holmes’ gift.
Keith, Esq., author of several works on mathematics, but better known by his
“System of Geography,” was born here in 1762. He was at one time secretary to
the Master of the King’s household, and afterwards accountant to the BritishMuseum. He died in London in1826.
parish can boast of at least one centenarian, Frank Graham, who died here in
1833, at the age of 102 years, and is interred in the churchyard.
Burshill, or as it has been also
written, Bristhill, Bursall, and Boshill, is a hamlet consisting of four
farms and a few cottages, situated about one and a half miles west of the
To advertise your business/organisation/event on this site, for further information or to use any of the information
on this website please contact the website manager via the Contact Us
page. All text and images are copyrighted, 2013, to Brandesburton Parish Council and/or Jonathan Chapman, unless otherwise stated.